|Job Information || |
FLSA Classification: Salaried Exempt
Direct Reports: Shipping Department Lead and Employees (2+)
The Shipping and Logistics Supervisor is responsible for the management of all traffic functions for the White Lake facility including arranging, coordinating and scheduling inbound and interplant transfers of materials and plant supplies and outbound finished goods; both domestically and internationally.
This position works closely with the VP of Purchasing and Procurement, Plant Managers, shipping department members at other locations and Customer Service.
- Development of department goals and objectives focused on service, efficiency, on time delivery and cost containment.
- Works strategically with sales and customer service to identify ways to meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Ensures proper shipping procedures and processes are in place and followed regarding required documentation (hazardous material requirements, export documentation, bills of lading, etc.) and that the department is operating and complying within the applicable guidelines of all International, Federal, and State regulations in such areas as, shipments, material handling, loading, storage, and product labeling. Ensures that the necessary training and certifications are active and up to date for those within the department to ensure compliance.
- Participates, supports, promotes, and enforces the safety initiatives within the Shipping and Receiving department
- Identifies and implements changes to continuously improve inventory accuracy, efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of service within the shipping/receiving department.
- Works strategically with shipping functions at other locations to effectively manage the movement of material, minimize shipping costs and maximize service levels of interplant transfers.
- Monitors the finished goods and component inventory levels at Ishpeming, White Lake and outside warehouse locations in order to maximize the use of existing warehouse space and minimize unnecessary handling, transportation, and loading expense.
- Works with procurement department to determine shipping priorities, carriers, methods, freight costs, etc.
- Support and serve as backup to others in the shipping department with the ability to fill in and perform the day to day duties as necessary (including material handling, loading and unloading, etc.)
- Work closely and oversee the Trucking Logistics Coordinator in negotiating with and optimizing freight rates and the verification, coding, and approval of inbound and outbound freight invoices for further processing by others.
- As Supervisor of the department, oversees the maintenance of carrier and freight forwarder contact lists and agreements, follows up with sales and customer service to ensure shipping priorities, carriers, methods, freight costs and overall delivery costs for customer quotations is being properly communicated, supplied and/or serviced. Tracks and analyses shipping information to ensure accuracy and on time shipment goals are being met. Responsible for employee management including but not limited to: time and attendance tracking and approval, employee direction, motivation and coaching, management of employee recognition and disciplinary programs, etc.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The Shipping and Receiving Supervisor must be committed to the overall success of the organization, a critical thinker, problem solver, proactive, responsive, and have a high service orientation.
- High Energy level and a strong work ethic with the ability to lead people as well as manage the day to day operations
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Professional demeanor with the ability to work well with and through others to achieve desired goals
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good working knowledge of computers and common software for use in word processing, spreadsheets and email with the ability to learn and use specialized software for payroll, time and attendance, and inventory reporting
- Perform other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Willingness and eagerness to participate in relevant internal and external training
Education and Experience:
- Technical College Degree or equivalent in Logistic, Supply Management
- Minimum of two years of experience in a manufacturing shipping/receiving environment.
- Alternative combinations of education and experience will be considered
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The work environment is typical of a wood flooring manufacturing plant with operations both inside the plant and outside on the plant grounds, often requiring use of personal protective equipment, including head, eye, and ear protection. In addition to operating applicable equipment and tools, employee will be required to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will need to regularly stand, stoop, twist, or bend.
The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the duties of the position and do not include all tasks that the employee may be required to perform. The employee must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job, either with or without reasonable accommodation.